[Dailydrool] Basset Boyfriend.

rebecca lando rebecca.lando at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 13:03:23 PST 2009

When I first met Kit, 3 years ago, he had a dog (Professor Bix) and 2 cats.
Well, technically, they're his parents' pets - but whatever. Professor Bix
and I bonded right away, and you all know how dogs choose their owners. For
all intents and purposes, Bix is mine.

So, anyway, when we first met - right. Kit was a cat person. I'm okay with
cats, but I'm a diehard dog person. You want to be with me, you better be
prepared for a dog. That was step 1.

So Kit resigned himself to having a dog. Step 2, then, was a basset. I had
never had a basset before, but knew that that was what I wanted. Kit didn't
get it. "They're so goofy-looking," he'd say. He likes dogs like Professor
Bix, an Akita/St. Bernard/German Shepherd mix. Big, wolfy dogs. Now, Bix is
one of the most drop-dead handsome dogs I've ever seen, but you all know how
it is - he's beautiful, but he's no basset. So convicing Kit to commit to a
basset was step 2.

So around the holidays last year, Kit started looking on 1800saveapet.comand
petfinder.com, because rescuing was always an unspoken and obvious tenent to
basset ownership. It was Kit who found the litter of 6 caramel-and-white
basset pups, only 6 weeks old. We both fell in love at first sight at the
photo of Humphrey, who was then going by the too-preppy-for-us name of
Preston. I suppose that was step 3.

So we adopt Humphrey. Now, to be fair, I don't know how anyone could fail to
fall in love with a 10-week-old puppy, but Kit really fell head-over-heels
for our new little boy. And we see how well he gets along with Professor
Bix, and how sociable he is, and I say, someday, we should get him a brother
or sister. And Kit says, sure, but next time, I pick the breed. He'd point
out German Shepherds, Mastiffs, Belgian sheepdogs in the dog run. "I want
one of those," he'd say. Now, I'd never say 'no' to one of those big,
beautiful dogs - but I kept my mouth shut. Kit had already gone from being a
cat person to willingly considering a 2nd (3rd, technically) dog. Let's see
how far we can take this, I thought.

By the time Humphrey was 8 months old, Kit's song was changing. Humphrey
isn't the droopiest of dogs, but whenever he manages to look wrinkly or get
that noble basset expression on his face, Kit goes wild. "Who's my bassety
boy?!" Kit will praise him, and give him a cookie. "Good boy, looking so
bassety."

I'd show him bassets on petfinder, and he'd practically coo with delight. He
now swears that our next apartment will have a backyard, which I assumed was
because he wants to be able to grill and have a veggie garden. "That too,"
he said, "but I was also thinking maybe we could foster, and the bassets
will need a place to play."

And that is how you turn a cat-loving man into a basset boyfriend.

Drool to all in need,

Rebecca, Humphrey, Professor Bix, and Kit