[Dailydrool] Skin problems - Neem Powder

Rosemary Ryan r2 at seanet.com
Sat Jan 24 17:15:19 PST 2009

A few weeks ago I saw a posting on another dog list about neem. To read more
about neem, see http://www.discoverneem.com/ . Neem is a staple of Ayervedic
medicine - the natural medicine of India and has been in use for 4000 years.
It is regarded as very safe.

Neem is available as powdered leaves (in capsules) and oil that is extracted
from its fruit - which resembles olives. The oil is much stronger and is FOR
EXTERNAL USE ONLY. The powdered leaves can be taken internally.

The website talks about neem's many uses, but I started giving it to my dogs
to control yeast 3 weeks ago and its effects have been remarkable. Their
itching stopped almost immediately, redness and bald spots are healing, and
their coats are softer and shinier.  I'm giving 1 475 mg capsule of neem
POWDER twice daily with meals. I found the capsules at the Vitamin Shoppe
for $6.99 for a jar of 100 capsules
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=NW-2251 (no,
I don't work for them.)

The neem seems to work best in concert with other topical treatments. One of
my girls improved a lot more when I bathed her with Malaseb Shampoo. She
also had yeasty ears which are requiring Tresaderm drops (same med as
Otomax).

The neem oil can be added to shampoos for topical use - but you need to mix
only what you will use because the oil breaks down in water after a few
hours. Check out discoverneem.com for shampoo recipes.

There are animal studies that suggest neem is an effective and reversible
contraceptive. It is not approved in for this use in the U.S.  This,
however, makes me think that you would not want to use it with dogs that are
pregnant or whom you are hoping to breed.  I'm looking for information on
this topic  - pls. let me know if you have any.

I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far and eager to hear from others
who are familiar with neem.

Rosemary Ryan
HeavenScent Bassets
Seattle