[Dailydrool] Daisy - Mast Cell Tumor -Advice?

petersencress at cox.net petersencress at cox.net
Sun Jan 25 14:43:41 PST 2009

My 13 yr old basset girl (got her from MABR in 2001) was diagnosed with a vaginal mast cell tumor last week. We had noticed occasional drops of blood here and there and finally traced it to our girl.

The quandary is whether to put her through the surgery to remove the tumor. The vet states she'll need her back end basically rebuilt and will need chemo and radiation post surgery. She is a special needs girl due to her extreme fear of strangers, especially men. This was her first vet visit not at home - we usually use the mobile vet. I'm afraid she'll freak and have a heart attack before the surgery even occurs. She spazzed during the vet visit.

She is oblivious to the tumor . She is bouncing all over, snarfing her food, one would never know there is a large mass inside her.

I'm not sure whether to put her through all the cancer surgery/treatments or let her enjoy the remainder of her thirteenth year.

Has anyone else had an elderly dog with this condition?

Muddled (and heartbroken),

Lori - Mom to Daisy, Lucy and Jimmy Dean (bassets), Daphne (wannabe)