[Dailydrool] Funny dog story

julie h jules56pt at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 26 18:57:18 PST 2009

This isn't a basset story but it is funny (at least to me) so I thought I would share it.  On Friday morning, Nic(16 year old slowmoving child) went out to get in the car to go to school.  There was a black lab asleep on the top of his brother's car.  The car is a mustang convertible.  I can't imagine a big black dog sleeping on the roof of the Mustang but it happened.  The dog then climbed down off of the Mustang and wanted to play with Nic.  Nic was runnning late, as usual, so he was trying to shoo the dog away.  He got in the van and tried to shut the door.  The dog wouldn't take no for an answer and before Nic could get the door closed, the lab jumped in his lap.  Nic is a big guy but a lab is a big lapful.  Nic pushed the lab out of the car and got in to go.  The lab then jumped on the hood of the van and got on the roof.

I was getting ready for work so I didn't know any of this was going on.  Nic got out of the car and was going to get me to hold onto the dog when a police car came around the corner.  The car stopped and the officer got out.  He was looking for the dog because someone had called in a loose lab.  The dog wanted nothing to do with the police officer and kept going back to Nic.  Nic helped get the dog to the police car and went to school.  He was late, of course.  He didn't tell me any of this until Sunday morning.  I asked if he told his teacher and he gave me that look like I was stupid and said what teacher would believe that story.?  I called the police department this morning to see if they really picked up a lab on our street on Friday and they did.  It is with the Humane Society now.  They haven't found the owner yet.  I called the school and got the tardy removed.  The attendance office got a laugh too.  Nic always has too many tardies so he needs all the help he can get.

On the basset front,  we know of one that needs a home and I don't know if we can handle one more.  We don't know if it is male or female. She belongs to the daughter of a friend.  The daughter has moved into a small apartment.  We will know more later.  I don't know what to tell them.  I guess we could take it to see how it would do with ours.  I think the limit for animals in town is 3 so we are already in trouble and we have neighbors who get into everyone else's business.  They would gleefully tell whoever the dog police people are that we are over the limit.    I shouldn't borrow trouble so I will just wait and see what happens.  The girls we have get along so well that I would hate to do anything to spoil that.  And it really is true that you can't have just one.

It is starting to really snow here.  The predictions are for no school tomorrow.  I hope they don't go.  Teenagers and icy snow don't mis well.  Son #1 spun out last night, took out a mailbox and high centered on a rock.  He was able to drive home.  It could have been so much worse. Puts things in perspective.  Never miss an opportunity to hug all your kids.

Sending buckets of drool to Grandpa Mitchell and anyone else in need.
Ninja, Marley, Maggie, and Shelby the foster