[Dailydrool] my goofy girl Charlie

Tracy Pellish k9trixx at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 27 15:41:42 PST 2009

Before I start this I would like to thank everybody again that sent me kind words when I turned to you guys last month after finding out Charlie had lymphoma. A lot of what people said helped me come to terms with it all and make the right decision for her. I chose not to go the chemo route and just let her enjoy what time she had left. But last week I looked into her big brown eyes and had to make the most difficult of decisions and she was put down last night. The cancer had spread through her very quickly and even though she was trying so hard to be herself, I know that she was ready to go. When we got to the vet’s office and I had a few last words with her in the car she wagged her tail at me like she was telling me that it was ok. I am very lucky to have found a wonderful vet and everybody there was very compassionate. This includes the 3 dogs that belong to the vet that are in the lobby to greet everybody. One of her dogs has a way of sensing when a dog is brought in for this reason and likes to sit with the dog and family to help. He came in and checked on Charlie and I think that really helped us both let go. I have no idea how I am going to get used to not having her around. Who is going to kick me in the middle of the night? Or bark at me to get yet another snackie? Or check on me in the shower when breakfast is late? There are so many things I am going to miss about that crazy girl.

Tracy and Otis (the non-Basset who is a little confused by all this)