[Dailydrool] need basset advice from someone for a basset family

Iabassetrescue iabassetrescue at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 11:14:28 PST 2009

My husband got Pretty Boy as a puppy from a friend in November of 2002. He was in the navy and stationed in California. My husband's roommate had a dog, Chester, who I believe was a miniature pincher. The two dogs got along famously. They lived in an apartment near the beach and would take frequent walks out there. It was just the two of them from about 2003- 2005. My husband and I met in the summer of 2005. We moved to Iowa in February of 2006. Pretty Boy  had a hard time adjusting that first winter, but has gotten better each subsequent winter. He is an indoor dog. He likes slower paced walks. He was self feeding for the last few years, but because of his constant messing in the house, since December we have sinced changed that to eating twice a day. He has always had Nutro. He did start jumping around and taking food out of hands, but that has gotten a lot better in the last few weeks. He was really bad about it in the fall.  We tried to have him
 outside for a period of time, but there is a beagle behind us and they barked too much and disturbed our neighbors. We adopted a lab mix named Casey in spring of 2007. They got along well,  but she was overly agressive toward me and knocked me down on walks and we ultimately had to return her a few months later to the humane society. We have dog sat for our friends two pugs and he's gotten along with them fine.  He's also played well with my in laws' sheep dog and my sister in laws St. Bernard and her lab mix.  I have a son Nicholas who is 5/ Our son Aiden was born in June of 2007, Adrianna was born in June of 2008. It is only in the last month that we have noticed a distinct difference in Pretty Boy's behavior. He has never been agressive toward anything. He is scared of cats. In the last month he has snapped at my son Aiden 3 times. The first time, Aiden was on the couch and pretty boy was on the floor and Aiden tried to slide dwn and ride him. I
 believe he scared Pretty Boy and Pretty Boy just reacted naturally. The 2nd time Aiden was trying to sit with Pretty Boy on the floor and I believe Aiden may have sat on his paw or tail, but pretty boy jumped up and barked at Aiden. The last time was just yesterday. Pretty Boy was sitting between the couch and an ottoman and Aiden was moving his toy train around the top of ottoman. As Aiden rounded the ottoman, coming toward pretty boy, pretty boy growled and bared his teeth at him ina seemingly agressive manner. I was right there and told him NO very firmly and took him out of the living room. I made sure he and Aiden kept their distance the rest of the evening and all of today. This behavior is completely out of whack for him. We have lots of nieces and nephews and he has always cozied up and welcomed any kind of play/attention with them. The other odd thing, is that he does NOT behave like anyhing but a saint when my husband is home. He only acts out
 for me. That is all I could think of, if you have any other questions, please let me know. Thanks for all your help

Jessica