[Dailydrool] thrombopathia

Reed and Becky Pomeroy rebec at execpc.com
Wed Jul 29 06:17:12 PDT 2009

While I have never experienced a basset with thrombopathia, I have a
friend who unknowiingly brought it into her bloodline from an outcross
breeding.  I can assure you, if Maggie had it, you would have known
before age 6.  My friend's dog was first diagnosed after bleeding
excessively when he lost a puppy tooth.  surgeries would have been
problematic (is she spayed??) and nail trimming a nightmare.

On
the other had, there could be another problem going on.  Years ago,
our Levi had what was probably the world's only middle of the night
emergency tooth extraction after he started bleeding from a loose tooth
and it didn't stop.  He was older at the time - I don't remember how
old.  At least 8.  the vet suspected he was having blood
clotting difficulties related to being on large doses of steroids several
years before when he herniated a disk in his neck.  He was put on
Vitamin K for a while.

I'd have it checked out.

crazy basset lady
MAKE DROOL NOT WAR