[Dailydrool] Help! This dog is driving me insane!

SUSAN INTESSIMONE froggie0310 at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 3 21:53:00 PDT 2009

When our Nellie died a year ago, we decided to adopt our foster Twinkie (now known as Sweenie.)  We'd had her since February and she came afraid of people and with the habit of licking anything with hair on it (carpet, etc..) and vomiting it back up like a cat does with a hairball.  She'd also swallow things whole (ballet shoe, Easter tie, etc...) and regurgitate them as well.  She has thankfully stopped the latter but still does the former.

She sleeps like a log all day on our futon couch, occasionally going out into the yard to pee.  But every night WITHOUT FAIL when everyone else is in bed and I am the only one up [although if I go to bed the behavior doesn't stop], she wanders around licking everything and gets on and off the couch, chairs, etc.. and cannot settle down and go to sleep.  Sometimes I put her out as she acts like she wants to go out and eat grass and vomit, but usually she just paces around licking things (we have no more carpet so she's licking the wooden stairs, etc...)  She is well fed so it doesn't appear to be a hunger issue.  One night I went to bed and she did this for hours until I broke down and gave her the dose of Ace usually reserved for thunderstorms.  She's about 8-10 yrs old.

Any ideas????

Susan and the Hoptown Bassets + 2
Murphy, Jeremiah and Sweenie + Beth and Percy jackson