[Dailydrool] Scary Moment

JACQIE MARVICH oakrydgebh7 at msn.com
Mon Jul 6 08:06:04 PDT 2009

It happened this morning. The Dadslave had a load to deliver to the WalMart in Garden City, ID. I picked him up last night about 6 p.m. at the Ontario, OR. WalMart and he spent the night at home. This meant that I needed to take him back to the truck EARLY this morning. I don't normally rise and shine at 6:00 a.m. but I got up that early this morning to let the dogs out to potty and take him back to the truck. Crated the girls and without my morning cup of MOON DOGGIE coffee, I drove him back to the truck. Got back here, opened the driveway gate, drove in and parked the BUV. I came inside still needing a cup of coffee. I let the girls out that were crated in the kitchen, used the bathroom and sat down in front of the computer to check email while the coffeemaker did it's thing. It's now about 8 a.m. so the brain suddenly turns on. I shot up out of my chair and flew out the front door! I had left the gate open at the top of the driveway on my way in. I now had five female bassets loose outside! TWO OF THEM ARE IN SEASON! Oh my doG! I'm running (not a pretty sight) and calling the girls names frantically. Lacey is the only one I can see outside the gate by the mailbox. WHERE are they! I keep calling. Lacey comes right to me. "GOOOOD GIRRLLLL Lacey" and I put her in the front yard which is fenced seperately from the rest of the property. When I turn around, still yelling for the others, I see them all coming in a pack running toward me like crazy. Tails wagging and happy to see me. "What's da matter Momma?  We all right. Just taking a morning walky. We love you Momma." Kissey, kissey and more kissies. I'm now slobbery all over. They all folllow me into the front yard and I leave them there with Lacey and go out to the end of the driveway and close the gate. My heart is pounding and I'm totally out of breath but I'm so proud of them. They all came when I called them! Five girls all out for a good time. Free to go exploring and they all came back to me when I called them! WOW! The moral of this story-train your dogs to come when called. It could save their lives and keep them safe. Note to self, ALWAYS close the driveway gate when you get back home before letting the dogs out.

Ummmm, my Moon Doggie coffee sure tastes good. Drool to all in need.
Jacqie Marvich
Oakrydge Bassets