[Dailydrool] Emma/ George/ Pano

Lisa Board lisaboardva at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 06:19:09 PDT 2009

Hi Emma,

DO NOT let the vet operate on George before the breeder can see him!
Bassets are prone to panosteitis ("pano") and it typically shows up from age
five months - 1 year.  Not uncommon at all and easily managed with pain
killers (Rimadyl is popular here in the US), and restricting activity for a
day or two.  Surgery is costly and painful, and most likely, unnecessary!

Please let the breeder take a look at George first.  Baby aspirin could also
help, not sure the dosage; I give my 9 month old, 60 lb Basset 80 mg.

I'd also look for another vet - your vet does sound like they are rushing
George into surgery and seem a little more interested in your wallet than
his elbow, honestly.

Good luck .... Ahrrooos to you from the other side of the pond!

-Lisa and Baloo