[Dailydrool] Dog Won't Eat

Matt Gold emgee752001 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 11 09:30:49 PDT 2009

Have this puzzler with my 7-year-old hound.  He won't eat dog food.
He'll eat treats, peanut butter, people food (which I don't really
give him, save for the odd pizza crust), bully sticks, etc.  Just not
his food.  I tried putting chicken broth on his food one night and he
totally chowed down, finishing every drop without hesitation, then
the next night he licked the broth off the food and spit the food out
on the floor.  I've tried changing his food, done blood test which
came out negative.  I don't think there's anything wrong with his
teeth.  Vet said his gums looked fine, and he has no problem eating
treats.  He goes to the bathroom normally, so it doesn't seem
anything intestinal.

He's never been a big eater.  Often he would leave his food for an
hour or two before picking at it.  Now he's just not even
acknowledging his food.  I really don't think it's anything medical.
At first I thought it might be because I recently moved into the
city, but he's been at my mom's in the "country" for over a week and
is still not eating.  He'll eat anything other than dog food.  And I
never fed him table food.  Even scraps or pizza crusts i would wait
until i was done eating and put it in his bowl, and that was rare.
Anyone ever come across this with a basset before?  Anyone have
suggestions?