[Dailydrool] Dog locked in car

Kathleen Lewis Kathleen.Lewis at Foxsports.net
Mon Jul 13 18:43:02 PDT 2009

Hey everyone,

So since everyone's been talking about dogs locked in cars, I have a
story too.  One day last week in very hot Houston, TX, I accidentally
locked my keys, purse (which had my phone) and Oswald (my 4 year old
basset) in the car I was driving.  Normally I drive my own car which has
manual locks, but that day I was driving my soon to be brother-in-law's
Camry which has automatic locks.  Oswald and I were going to said BIL's
house to switch cars back.  I got into the car and realized that the gas
light was on, and we wouldn't be able to make it there without stopping
to get gas, so since there's a gas station on the way to the freeway we
stopped there.  I got out of the car with my wallet, leaving my purse
behind and the keys in the ignition so Oz could listen to the music
while I was temporarily out of the car pumping gas.  I wasn't even
planning on going into the gas station because I could just pay with my
card at the pump.  As soon as I got out of the car and shut the door I
realize that unlike my car, you have to push a button inside the car to
open the gas door, so I try to open the door I just shut about 5 seconds
before and it was locked, even though I made sure to leave it unlocked
when I shut it.  So at that point, I realize that all of my stuff and my
poor dog is locked in the car.  I proceeded to go into the gas station,
where they let me use their phone.  The only number I knew by heart was
my fiancee's so I called him and told him that our dog was locked in the
car with the keys.  I don't have AAA, and didn't know what to do.  He
called his brother, and found out that there was no spare key.  Then he
got the insurance information for his brother and fortunately they have
roadside assistance, so about 20-30 minutes later both the Fiancee and
the roadside assistance people got there and got the car open.
Fortunately we were in the shade and the car was still cool inside when
I locked the keys in from the air conditioning, but it was still in the
90's outside, so I was really nervous about what was going to happen to
Oz.  I kept talking to him and standing out there with him, so he knew
he wasn't alone.  I was trying to get him to push the unlock button or
the window button, but he's a lazy boy, so he was just sitting there or
laying there the whole time and would just look at me like I was crazy
for pointing at the buttons.  I found out after the fact that every time
you leave your keys in the ignition, the doors automatically lock, that
would have probably been good to know before I left the keys in the
ignition in the first place.  I've learned that anytime I ever want to
leave the dog in the car, even for a minute or two, the keys will come
with me.

Drool to everyone in need!

Kat and Oswald