[Dailydrool] Need food advise

Kathy Collins kcollins at crubber.com
Tue Jul 21 04:49:22 PDT 2009

Good morning all!  I'm a long-time drool lurker.  I find myself in need
of some food advise.

I have senior hounds.  Freckles is 12. She has always had bad teeth
(yearly cleaning-at least). I know she's also having quite a time with
arthritis in her shoulders. She's had that for years, but the last few
weeks I've seen the aches and pains bother her more.  I've started her
back on Zubrin (the others give her the runs.)  I'm not sure if the lack
of appetite is because of her teeth or the aches and pains of old age.
My guess is it is a little bit of both.  I switched her food to Innova's
little bites for adult dogs. My vet has suggested I not use senior or
any diet foods as he said they tend to lack taste and weight is not an
issue for either dog.  I've been cooking chicken, hotdogs and giving her
some table food in her meals. The vet said he is not opposed to putting
in some table food, as he put it, "whatever it takes to keep up her
appetite."

I've thought about giving her some puppy food to increase the calories
as she is just picking and loosing some weight again.  I have taken her
to the vet and this is an on-going issue, off and on for 6 to 8 months
now. The vet says her bloodwork looks good and everything looks ok. It
seems like each time she looses her appetite, she just looses more.  She
is drinking fine.

Does anyone have suggestions for helping me get some weight on her?
Some treats?  ???? I'm not opposed to cooking for her.

My other senior, Jasper (who turns 10 on Saturday), has been eating
Merrick's dry and canned foods.  The canned food is good. I'm not happy
with the new bag of dry I opened this morning. A while ago, they added
some white and yellow colored nuggets with a sticker on the bag saying
it is supplements and antioxidents. I was ok with that.  Today's new bag
no longer contains veggies.  Instead of peas, there are green colored
nuggets that look just like the "food" nuggets. I'm suspicious of any
colored, extruded nugget made to look like a vegetable.

Jasper does have allergy problems so I'm pretty careful of what I feed
him. He used to eat the Wellness, they both did, but Freckles started to
refuse that brand.  Does anyone have a suggestion of a really good food
they've been using?

Feel free to e-mail me directly as I know the food subject has been
over-discussed for some to have to read yet again.

Kathy

This email may contain material that is confidential, privileged and/or for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, reliance or distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not copy, forward, use, rely on or distribute this message or any file attachments. Please inform the sender if you have received this email in error. Nothing in this email amounts to a contractual or other legal commitment, unless separately confirmed expressly in writing by an authorized Officer of the Company. The views expressed in this email are attributable to the sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of the Company.