[Dailydrool] Advice needed: fear biting, raffling

Jaclyn Chancey jaclyn.chancey at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 07:41:51 PDT 2009

So the move to Connecticut went well, but now I'm back in Alabama working
the last few weeks of my job. :( The kids are doing well with their dad (my
boyfriend Will) but I miss them all (and Will) so much!
We are having a bit of trouble with Josh, the not-a-basset mix. He is scared
of children (seems to be mainly those under 10) and large dogs (particularly
intact large dogs that are off leash while he isn't). He is a fear biter.
He's gone after large dogs, but luckily he hasn't attacked any people. He
has snapped/nipped at kids, though. No broken skin, but of course I worry
that it's just a matter of time. In our new home, the dogs are out for walks
much more due to having a lot smaller yard, and there are a lot of kids in
the area. If anyone has recommendations on books, videos, training methods,
ANYTHING that can help poor Josh be happier and safer, I'd be thrilled. We
can also continue the conversation off-list if anyone wants to share their
experiences.

Also, I'd like to touch base with any of you who have successfully pulled
off an online raffle on the Drool. Abbie has directed me to raise some money
for her alma mater by raffling off a large portion of the basset crap I've
accumulated over the last several years. Advice is good. :)

Thanks!
Jaclyn