[Dailydrool] Need Allergy Advice

Celine Rupka crupka at mycybernet.net
Mon Jul 27 13:44:21 PDT 2009

Okay fellow droolers... I need some advice from the masses ('cause I
think we have all dealt with allergies at some point!)  I am owned by
Mathilda, a 1.5 year old basset.  She started to show some minor
allergy issues early on in her life (around 8 months.)  We did the
quick dose of Prednisone to get things under control, but a few weeks
after she finished this, the allergies would be back.  We did this a
few times, but didn't want to put her on a constant dose because she
is so young (...my other basset, Belle, was 10 when we had to go the
constant Prednisone route...)  At the vet's suggestion, she was put on
Atopica.

The Atopica worked well during the initial month (1 pill every day),
and then for a couple months after when she was down to 1 pill every
other day.  However, lately, it doesn't seem to working as well.  The
day she takes the Atopica, is a very itchy, scratchy, chewy day for
her.  It will calm down by late that evening, and then be not too bad
during the next day, but by the evening, the rashes/hives are starting
to come back.  To my thinking, the Atopica is not working the way it
should (especially considering the price... which don't get me wrong,
I am willing to pay, but I would just like the Atopica to work the way
it should.)  She is to the point where she has very little hair under
her chin and on her chest, is starting to chew all the hair off of her
paws, and the wrinkles on her legs are getting quite red.

I bathe her twice a week with medicated shampoo (which helps the
itching) and use canine anti-itch ointment.  She also has very
"gooey" (sorry, can't think of a better term) and waxy ears.  I need
to clean them every day.  My other basset was able to go 4-5 days
between cleanings... but maybe this was abnormal...

Any suggestions to different solutions?  Medications??  Allergy
shots??  Diet??  Lotions??  Mathilda and I are open to any ideas!  It
is frustrating for both of us!

Thanks so much Droolers!

Celine and Mathilda
(...you can meet Mathilda at the link below!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkwowpAYe-g