[Dailydrool] Hound Shipping

boardwaddle boardwaddle at comcast.net
Wed Jul 29 18:07:19 PDT 2009

I would hope that most rescues would find that a prior rescue's approval
and references would be more than adequate.

Kathy has a good point....and I would hope that the sending rescue has an
absolute plan on how to get the hound back should the placement not work
out. If they determine that the home the houndie is going to a good home, it
would be important that they assess the risk that the baby is not going to
come back and accept 100% physical and financial responsibility of the hound
being returned over many miles.  In the times that Tanya was posting pleas
for people to help transport dogs, I often wondered what her arrangements
were for those times that the placement did not work out. That was
consistently omitted from her posts. (..and many others, of late) It would
be nice if what arrangements are planned in the event of failure were
included in the various posts looking to have hounds hauled hundreds of
miles. Anecdotes of, "Oh, I just know the houndie will work out" or happy
tails of successful long distance placements should be accompanied by
responsibility for the failure. I have no doubt that daWn would get in a car
and drive a nickzillion miles if the hound didn't work out....just like
Darlene had the houndie from Las Vegas Basset Rescue that ended up homeless
in Texas fetched to her in her new home.

I'm not addressing where a rescue kindly takes a hound from a distance.
Presumably they are accepting responsibility for that hound....it is the
houndies going to adopting homes that concern me. I well remember Barbara
Wicklund telling me that she once drove from New Jersey to Montana to
retrieve a hound that didn't work out in an adoptive home.

It is just a matter of responsibility and I am curious as to whether someone
concerned with home visits is just worried about assessing the home in the
hopes that the hound does not work out.

dawn