[Dailydrool] Transporting Bassets

Chris Bly jbly1 at kc.rr.com
Thu Jul 30 20:53:48 PDT 2009

I agree I with all of the posts on transporting Bassets. We have always tried to keep the Bassets we take in close to us no farther than a few hours driving distance. We have made only a few exceptions, we met a wonderful veterinarian who lived in North Dakota who adopted from our fosters when we were with Mid America Basset Rescue and a few years later she adopted a Basset puppy who had only one ear (we called him Vinnie after Vincent Van Gogh) we had months worth of correspondence with her before we agreed to let one of our hounds go that far away and they got the best home with her we still get pictures and updates. And we had one Basset adopted by the president of the Companion Animal Protection Services who lives in Colorado ( we met while we were picking up three Bassets from her as she was actually shutting down a puppy mill in South Dakota) CAPS did a big story on the whole Basset family, we took a Grandma, her daughter and grandbasset, the baby basset had many health problems and Deb H. with CAPS adopted her. If there were ever a problem with a Basset we adopted  out and the owner wanted to give it back we would take off work and go get our foster Basset back no matter how far away the Basset was we would make sure the Basset was safe, always. I think all rescues feel the same way. We all love the dogs our whole life is the dogs. We get home from work and answer emails and phone calls almost all evening and all weekend long. We do home visits and our whole life is surrounded around the Bassets. My husband and I  have not had a vacation away from the dogs in nine years. They are our babies and we worry about them always even when they go to great homes! We have had calls from adopters that sounded like lovely people from Maine and California, New Jersey, Florida, etc. but we tell them to adopt locally.
Chris Bly Mommy to Brutus, Daisey, Charlie, Freckles, Vinnie, Jack, Jo Jo , Rudy, Mendy, Tinkerbell, Happy, Pickles, Tillie, Duke, Copper, Millie, Western Missouri Basset Rescue, Inc. wmbri.org