[Dailydrool] Finicky eater vs. upset stomach

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Mon Jun 1 07:29:20 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,

Last week, Fred and Annie stayed at their Doggy Daycare for 4 days/3 nights while I was away.? Since they got back, Fred hasn't had much interest in his food.? He will eventually eat most of it, but VERY slowly.? I can't leave it down for very long, because Annie hovers, waiting to pounce on it.? At first, I chalked it up to the fact that he was exhausted after the weekend away, and that maybe he had a bit of a stomach bug.? He ate treats and wanted whatever I was eating...it was only his food that he didn't want.? After 2 days, I made him some boiled chicken with rice, which he wolfed down.? I slowly cut back on the chicken and increased his regular food and again, and he ate it all.? Yesterday, I stopped with the chicken and just gave him his regular food...again, he didn't want it.?

I did get him and Annie chew sticks yesterday, and he ate them both, which now has given him diarrhea!? We just went outside and he was eating lots of grass, and seemed like he needed to throw up, although he didn't.? I just gave him Pepto Bismol on a piece of bread, and am, once again boiling chicken for dinner.

I'm confused now...right now, I do think that his stomach is upset from the sticks he ate yesterday.? However, in general, I think that he's just decided that dog food is no longer good enough and that he will only eat chicken.? I don't want him to get into this habit, but I don't want him to not eat and, if he doesn't feel well, I don't want to feed him anything that will upset his stomach further.

Any ideas/suggestions/experience with a situation like this??

Thanks,
Rose, Annie and Fred (what does she think I am?? A DOG??)