[Dailydrool] flooring to prevent slippage

ali-d-black ali808 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 4 06:58:07 PDT 2009

Hi All,
I am planning on replacing carpet, and I know this topic has been discussed many times. My question is this:
Are some floorings better than others at preventing slipping?  Joe (ATB) was a long legger and had spinal issues toward the end of his life. Where I had vinyl in the kitchen I had to tape down runners, like from Home Depot where you buy them by the yard, so he wouldn't go splay legged (so heart wrenching) while walking there. My concern is if the whole house is solid surface does one end up covering it with runners to prevent this slipping? Both of my basset boys are young and so far no back problems. Are some floorings better than others, say the new hand scraped hard wood, or a tile with some texture to it? Or would one be better off using those tile squares that seem to be so popular on the HGTV decorating show, that way you could just replace pieces as needed?  Do bassets have this problem of going splay legged, or maybe it's not so bad since they only have the cute little legs? Any input would be much appreciated.
Planning for future basset comfort,
Ali slave in training to Cody and Elliot