[Dailydrool] We failed "puppy"

Beverlee Graybill beverlee at windstream.net
Tue Jun 16 11:36:55 PDT 2009

OK, we looked at all the little Basset Babies on the daily calenday, put a few aside to look at again, scanned the news ads and rejected those not the "right" color for us (red & white), contacted our breeder of two former bassets and she felt we were approaching old age (75 & 76) and might not outlive the pup so she discouraged us.  We were even more discouraged.  Saw three puppies on the Georgia Rescue web page, but they discourage placement outside the state (we lived in GA for 14 years, doesn't that count?) Then when our 6 year old championship bred, neutered male went to the vet for his annual checkup, I just mentioned to the receptionist that IF they ever knew of any basset pups, the younger the better, just let us know.

So, guess what?  You are right.  The vet visit was on Thursday and the call came at 9:00 on Saturday am.  We went to look at the pup, our male picked one that looks just like him - and Beau came home, via the vet's office.  He was 7 weeks old and Yes, we realized what was ahead of us.  We had done this before.  Now he rules the roost and demands to sleep in our bed with Sammy, not the CRATE, but right now he is howling his head off because I put him down for a nap and am ignoring the cries and pleas to "Let Me OUT"  so I will.

He knows his name, and is doing well on potty training as long as we catch him waiting at the door.  Sam will take him out when I say, time to go potty.  So any other suggestions will be helpful.  We are not sorry we flunked Puppy.  We love both of the babies.

Jim & Beverlee in KY