[Dailydrool] Basset therapy dogs

Sabrina brii at sprynet.com
Sat Jun 20 13:46:37 PDT 2009

My Calhoune was a therapy dog for five years working at a shelter for
children who had been taken away from their homes; many were
mistreated or seriously abused. Most of them were somewhat frightened
of dogs because often the dogs in their environment were aggressive
(having been mistreated, along with the children). On our visits, we
spent an hour and a half in a large gym with about a dozen therapy
dogs and their people. Children were brought to visit in groups,
youngest children first. We had to be careful there; Calhoune would -
every so gently - remove and eat snacks the toddlers were holding. As
the day progressed, Calhoune got tired and often rolled on his back
to take a nap. I remember a boy of about 8 who slowly approached a
snoring Calhoune and asked me, "Will he bite me?" Imagine being
afraid of a saggy, baggy Basset, lying on his back, cheeks
upsidedown, snoring. Some days were heartbreaking. But it was
delightful to watch the children who enjoyed the dogs.

Bill James, a former drooler, also joined this SPCA therapy program
and brought Ms. Molly on visits. Bill  had the idea of printing
Molly's picture and handing out small photos to interested children.
This idea became very popular with children and with volunteers.
Children came and went but many returned to the shelter again and
again. They'd still have pictures of their favorite dogs. We were
allowed to bring brushes (I brought a soft cat brush); the children
liked to sit by Calhoune and brush him; and Calhoune could do that
all day. Children could also walk the dogs around the gym on leashes;
but one lap was more than enough for Calhoune. You'd sometimes see 5
kids with 5 leashes attached to a Dalmatian.

Overall, it was very rewarding.

Sabrina Nicholls, Ellie, Buddy, Hailey - Calhoune & Brendan ATB