[Dailydrool] Pack order: how much should I be intervening?

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 20 20:39:05 PDT 2009

We have two male hounds; brothers from the same litter (although acquired two years apart when both were young adults). Since introducing the second hound (Harley), the pack order has been clear--humans first, then Harley--the alpha hound, then Bo--the born follower. We have not had problems with fighting, and Bo relies on Harley in unfamiliar situations to show him what is safe and what to do.

Enter Ruby, a neighbor's chihuahua who spends her days here. Harley's girlfriend. No problem with the pack order until recently. Bo ignored Ruby. Ruby ignored Bo. Harley and Ruby were/are an item.

Everything has just changed. Ruby's owners (good for them--a sign of responsible ownership) have just had Ruby spayed. Excellent, since we do not want chihuasset hounds. But now Ruby has started humping Bo. (My husband finds this amusing somehow and says, "See what a drop in estrogen does?" But I digress). Bo does not find this amusing. When Ruby goes on for awhile, he turns and snaps at her and chases her growling. Okay, still no problem--Bo never bites or hurts her in any way; he simply says "Cut that out". I'm not sure it is a pack position thing, but I suspect that it is since
Ruby never tries humping Harley, the alpha dog of the pack after the humans.

So what is the problem? When Bo goes after Ruby, Harley goes after Bo, and Harley will sink his teeth into Bo. I've had to break up a couple of quarrels. Generally, I've been grabbing Harley and pulling him off and giving him a "pinch" with my fingers (like
Cesar does on the dog whisperer). I figure Bo and Ruby are okay, but drawing blood by anyone is beyond my limits. Harley is respectful and backs off and then follows me around looking at me. The humping with Ruby and Bo seems to stop when the commotion starts.

I am wondering if this is the right thing to do or not. Should I let the three of them settle it? Or come down on Ruby for humping? Or continue to insist that Harley stay out of the negotiations between Bo and Ruby?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Mahalo. Val, Harley, Bo (and Ruby), and Lynx ATB