[Dailydrool] Traveling with nervous nellies

bevzap at comcast.net bevzap at comcast.net
Wed Jun 24 08:09:39 PDT 2009

Dogs should really be restrained in a moving vehicle. Either in a crate or a harness. They go through windshields or out of doors just as people do in the event of an accident, and if they are not seriously injured will run, just out of sheer panic. I say this knowing that there are times when I drive with one of the dogs not restrained and in the passenger seat. It makes him really nervous.(Mine are used to being crated in the Van.)

That said I think in this case I would consider sedating the dog who is the nervous nellie. You can try this beforehand to see what the effect is, but a touch of acepromazine will do a lot toward relaxing him for the trip. Not sure how long it lasts-- depends a little on the dog. Or you can try Valium, which I do not think is nearly as effective. If you and your Vet agree to Ace the dog, be sure to weigh him carefully, and listen to directions on when to give it and how much. Some breeds are really sensitive to it-- I cannot, for example, give it to my Belgian--but a Lab should be ok with it. Discuss it with your Vet. Just using benadryl or dramamine might even be enough.

If you put the crate in the truck bed, it MUST be bolted down, you are correct in that.

It sounds wonderful, a place in NHampshire.

MomPerson to Nigel (I wanna go!!) Llewis (If he goes, I go) Conley (wht?) and Cooper