[Dailydrool] allergy advice please

bakerchic82 at cox.net bakerchic82 at cox.net
Wed Jun 24 09:21:06 PDT 2009

Hello Everyone,

I have a 9 yr old basset that has horrible allergies.
I have had her tested for them, and she is allergic to about 15 different plants, trees, grass, and the worst.....cats!

I have been through the shots with her, and for maggie, they didnt seem to help. There was really no change durring the time she was on them. She also HATED them.

SO.....what my vet recomended is Atopica. According to her weight, (48lb),she gets 50 mg. Also, along with that, she gets a tagament (heart burn pill) and one half of  a ketoconazole (200mg) pill.  The atopica is hard on the stomach therefore the tagament.

My hound also gets the tiny dark or black spots. My vet told me that it was the start of a yeast infection. Maggie has them constantly all over her body. I keep that under control by giving her a bath in a miconazole shampoo...should be available through your vet. I dont think they sell it except at the vet.

I dont like to use steroids, but when she gets really bad, my vet  gave me triamcinolone. The smallest dose possible.(1.5mg) I only give this when she cant stop itching unless she is sleeping.

I love my maggie and I try to do the best for her. I hope this helps. Good luck. I know allergies are very difficult for the hound, but can be just as difficult for the parents.

becka, and maggie qween of the itchies.