[Dailydrool] Advice needed on foods/supplements for dogs with chronic kidney failure

Susan Randolph msrandolph at verizon.net
Sun Jun 28 17:34:20 PDT 2009

I found out yesterday that my big goofy boy Toby is likely suffering from
chronic kidney failure (he is 10.5 years old). His problems came on quite
suddenly when he turned down breakfast for the FIRST time in 10.5 years this
week and then began peeing FLOODS in the house, which he NEVER does. I got
him to the vet immediately, and his bloodwork is showing elevated BUN and
creatinine levels (classic signs of kidney failure). He's on a 2-week
regimen of antiobiotics (Baytril) to see if it might be a kidney infection
of some sort (since it came on so suddenly), but I'm studying up for the
worst-case scenario.

If anyone has suggestions for good reading on diets and/or supplements to
prolong the quality of life for dogs with chronic kidney disease, I'd
appreciate any and all recommendations. I'm nervous about cooking for my
pups -- not because I'm unwilling but because I'm a HORRIBLE cook. I can
bake a MEAN chocolate cake but I can barely warm a can of soup... Frosted
Flakes is haute cuisine in my house. But I'm willing to do anything to get
my boy feeling good and enjoying a nice long basset-ey life.

As much as I'd like to lean on my vet for advice... the vet I'd been seeing
since moving to the area 3 years ago JUST left the country June 12 (moved
home to New Zealand). And while the vet who took over his practice seems
good (it's hard to judge on a single visit), I'd like to study up and become
an informed patient's mom... probably her worst nightmare LOL!

I have great faith in the Drool community's vast expertise and experience,
so please share, on or off list (msrandolph at verizon.net).

Thanks -- and drool on,

Susan (slave to Toby the Puddle Machine and Daisy, who is feeling neglected
and no doubt plotting for ways to get a spotlight on her)