[Dailydrool] Eyes...

L.K. Metzler toppogigio at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 17 21:48:28 PDT 2009

Excellent point about the ph balance with doggie eyes!  I would shy away from anything other than the non-preservative natural "tears" (like Refresh or GenTeal)  and would use those very sparingly until the vet gives the OK.  Plain or distilled water in a squirt bottle and gently squirted works as an excellent eye flush for both hounds and humans.  Bev is right--eyes cannot be replaced.  Modern science has come a long way in replacing lenses and corneas, but the eyes themselves have not yet become replaceabe.  Take good care of your own and your houndies' eyes.

My Dad's Boxer developed dry eye and some allergies, and was eventually
prescribed Patinol, but only after they tried just the "tears".  The
Patinol worked and helped clear up Tristan's eyes, and he actually got
to the point where he could tell my Dad when he needed to have his eye
drops.

(I have glaucoma...I was diagnosed 15 years ago when I was 35.  I know waaaaay too much about eye problems and how much those tiny bottles of eye drops cost.  Many of the drugs that some of you have used on your houndies are the very same ones I use, and there are fewer still that are in generic form. I bought one little bottle not long ago that cost me--after insurance kicked in--$186!  I told the pharmacist that I would be back later for my stroke medications.... OUCH!)

When in doubt, please check with your vet......

Lisa Metzler

L.K. Metzler
San Marcos, TX   toppogigio at yahoo.com     "A dog wags its tail with its heart." - Martin Buxbaum     "If dogs could talk it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one." -- Andy Rooney