[Dailydrool] houndie buries squirrel

BRYAN MARTINEZ brymart at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 2 08:58:56 PST 2009

Tulip, my 9 year old rescue houndette and I just got back from our
morning walk this morning. We walked for an hour (BRRR! still cold in
Indiana!) in Eagle Creek Park, a large wooded area near Indy with
ponds, ducks , hawks, deer etc etc. About halfway through Tulip caught
a scent and went offtrail about 40 yards and found a red squirrel who
had somehow died and probably within a day or two, it had no marks on
it and was quite stiff. Well, she wasent going to eat it but she was
sure going to make sure nobody else would. So she picked it up and
joined me on the trail with her prize extending from both sides of her
chompers. I was NOT going to allow her to take it home with us , but
she was so proud of her find, I let her carry it back to the car to
see what would happen. When we got in sight of the car, she started
looking around at the leaf covered ground carefully. I knew she was
looking for someplace to bury it. In her careful manner she went from
spot to spot , pawing the ground here and there , looking for the
perfect spot. Finally next to a tree(as I pretended not to see) She
covered her prize with loose dirt and leaves. Then turned and trotted
happily up to the car ready to go home for breakfast. so, just to mess
with her I started the car and drove a little bit, then went back to
the burial place and grabbed the squirrel and put it in the trunk. She
was snoozing in the back and had no idea. So when we got home , I
sneaked the deceased rodent into the backyard. Then when she went out
in the backyard to do her usual sniffing, barking at nothing, peeing
ritual she 'rediscovered' her , so she thought, carefully hidden
'kill' How it got here was probably as much a mystery to her as to
why , in the same place, sometimes one has to plow thorough a foot of
snow and other times one is panting from extreme
humidity.....Then ,looking through the backyard window with a cup of
hot coffee, I got to enjoy her going through the same procedure of
rooting around and  finding a final resting place in the backyard for
her hapless squirrel . I know, not an exciting or even all that
unusual story. But I wanted to mix in a happy story amongst all the
sadness of travel to the Bridge.
Bassets bring me such amusement and joy!