[Dailydrool] Choir practice

julie h jules56pt at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 9 17:46:27 PDT 2009

All of my girls are in the family room with me sleeping soundly.  Shelbs and Marley are also snoring just to make it more authentic.

Tonight I witnessed something I've never seen or heard before.  The girls were agitated because the neighbor was working on his car.  They wanted to go out and help.  The DH was out putting stuff on the grass or what hopefully will be grass in a month or so.  He asked Nic to come out and help with something.  I was in here looking at email when this dog-awful whining began.  Ninja cannot stand when any of her peeps are not where she is.  Then it happened.  Shelby was on the kitchen floor, I guess.  She started to howl.  I just listened.  Wanted to see how long she would keep it up.  Ninja and Marley were on back of the couch where she could see them.  Ninja threw her head back and howled.  Ninja is not a howler.  Then Marley started in too.  Maggie must have been on the other side of Shelby because there was noise in that direction too.  I couldn't believe it.  I didn't have any way close to record it and I was afraid if I moved, they would stop.  When it would die down, Shelby would start up again and get them all going.  She was the director and they were the choir.  It was marvelous.  Nic came in and they all calmed down.  None of our other bassets have been howlers.  I'm wondering if they do this when we aren't home.

On another note, Sunny, the dearly departed grouch, had a heart murmur, an enlarged heart and in the end congestive heart failure among other things.  She had hers for the last four or five years of her life.  The vets kept saying it was more and more pronounced but she lived with it.  Sunny was on Enapril for her last couple years when I could get it in her.  That pill was so small and she could ferret it out of any substance.  She lived to be 13(or more like 15) before her heart issues got to her.  It never slowed her down or made her personality sweeter.  Maybe that's why she was such a crab all the time.

Snooters and drool to those who are ill or feeling sad.  We have lots of both to share.

Ninja, Marley, Maggie, and Shelby the foster ( who doesn't have a heart murmur, is cute as a button, loves sniffing every blade of anything and would like a forever home if there is someone out there who wants a cute, fluffy senior girl(13) and the mom