[Dailydrool] Changing colors

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Wed Mar 11 14:37:50 PDT 2009

As our Elsinore's aging, she's getting more and more white hairs in
the tip of her tail. When we adopted her, she was two or three years
old, and the tip of her tail was pure black. Now she's about seven or
eight, and in another couple of years she may actually have a white-
tipped tail. It'll be a small white tip, but it'll definitely be a
white tip.

In addition to her muzzle and face turning the expected white with
age, Elsinore's "lump of knowledge" now has a smattering of white. It
doesn't look as if it's going to disturb the pretty black bandana
marking that goes across the top of her head, but she's sure going to
look funny with a white spot on the back of her head if that's how it
develops. I knew that basset markings can change over time, but for
some reason I didn't think that applied to the black-and-tans like
Elsinore.

Our friend Jennifer, the human of Owen and the late Macy, said she
recently got a panicked call from a friend who'd adopted a beagle
about a year ago. The friend said the dog was getting spots, and he
thought maybe he should take the dog to the vet to be checked.
Jennifer asked if it was like a rash or some other kind of skin
irritation. No, it turned out the beagle's coat was starting to
freckle. Where it had once been a solid color, now there were "spots"
of brown or black fur. No need to call the vet.

Young Charlie doesn't seem to be going through any color changes, but
I'm sure his day will come.

Both hounds seem to be blowing their coats now, though. I went on a
trip a couple weeks ago and came home to a house full of wafting
undercoat. I pulled out the Furminator, but I can't seem to reach the
end of it. It's like trimming bushes--the pruning just inspires
enthusiastic regrowth. The more I brush those dogs, the more it seems
to encourage the undercoat to grow back and then release itself once
again into the air. Perhaps it's a positive sign that spring has
arrived at last. The daffodils are blooming, the trees are starting
to bud, and Elsinore and Charlie's fur is in the air. And everywhere
else.

Elizabeth