[Dailydrool] Annual exams

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Wed Mar 11 14:21:40 PDT 2009

Last week I took our Elsinore and young Charlie to the vet for their
annuals. I was especially concerned about Charlie because last year
he had a reaction to one of his vaccinations, and his face swelled up
to the point that we were calling him Fat Face and Fat Head. It was
pretty scary, really, especially since we had only children's liquid
Benedryl in the house and the ER vet said that wouldn't be enough, we
needed the adult strength. The ER vet also said it was only Charlie's
skin that was swelling, not his airways, but he looked so awful that
it was hard to believe her. We raced with him to the drugstore,
bought adult-strength Benedryl, and dosed him in the car before
driving home again. It took a full day for his face to return to its
right proportions and his head to stop looking as if it'd had a buzz
cut.

So this year I was prepared. I was packing Benedryl on my body when
we went to the vet's, and I reminded him of what had happened last
year. He said it was the "L" in the DHLP-PV vaccination that usually
causes that type of reaction, so he gave Charlie a vaccination that
didn't have the "L" in it. He also preceded the vaccination with an
antihistamine injection. I stayed with Charlie the whole day and
watched him closely for swelling, but fortunately he was fine.

Our Elsinore, however, led the vet to believe she had more in her
abdomen than a tummy full of breakfast. He spent a lot of time
feeling her abdomen and then decided to take an x-ray because he
thought he felt something that shouldn't be in there. The x-ray
showed nothing, but a poop sample had traces of blood. The vet said
Elsinore could have a mild abrasion from the pig ear she'd eaten the
day before, she could have an ulcer, or she could have a tumor too
small to show up on an x-ray. Of course we hoped for the first two
scenarios.

She spent a week taking a pill that's basically the active ingredient
in Pepcid-AC, and I spent a week trying not to think about tumors.
Thankfully, today's poop check found no blood at all. So the vet says
that rules out a tumor. She's now to have no pills for two weeks and
then she'll have another poop check. If the blood is back, then she
probably has an ulcer. The vet asked if anyone in the family was on
ulcer medication and then explained that most ulcers are caused by
bacteria, and different species can share that particular bacteria
with each other. I immediately went home and searched the internet
for information on ulcers, because Elsinore's been acting just fine.
Lots of energy and appetite. Interestingly enough, many of the ulcer
symptoms are problems I've been having for a while. I'd already made
a doctor's appointment to look into it, so now when I go in a couple
of weeks I can tell the doctor that my dog may have given me an
ulcer. I wonder what the doctor's reaction to that will be?

Elizabeth