[Dailydrool] Pawcasso Blossom, Nick, and Jamie

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Wed Mar 18 09:35:20 PDT 2009

A few years ago when my Arthur climbed the fence in February and disappeared for a few days, one of the first to contact me was Cookie.  When we made the announcement that he was home and safe, she wrote me to say that Pawcasso Blossom wanted to send Arthur a special gift so that he would never want to go roaming again.  A week or so later there was a package in the mail with not one, but three special blankies from the Pawteet Arteest herself.  She thoughtfully included one for Rocky and Sassy too so that they would not be jealous and pick on Arthur some more and make him want to run away again.  Each blanket was emblazoned with each hounds name, and a lovely paw print that I believe was Pawcasso Blossom's own pawtograph.

Such unsolicited kindness was the trademark of our special friend.  I am sure that there are others who can testify to Cookie's and Pawcasso Blossom's joy in celebrating with us, or sweetness in helping carry our burdens.  She will be so very missed!

Nick, I can't say that I knew him, but I feel your loss.  He had a very good life with you, how many other people would have taken in both dogs, kept them together through their lives, struggled through the difficulties of glaucoma with two dogs, and been dedicated to their well being up until it was time to say goodbye?  We see so many come into rescue if they are lucky enough to be rescued before being euthanized.  You kept them and were true to your commitment.  I am sure that when it is Nora's time, you will make the right decision, and she will reunite with her brother with all the dignity that you can manage to give her.  I wish you and Nora comfort.

Poor Riche,
So many of us have second guessed ourselves, and beat ourselves up over things we cannot go back and undo.  I have regrets over my Lilli, who had diabetes and I couldn't get her balanced, I had to shoot her at the age of 7. (she was suffering so, and hated the vet)  I have regrets over Topaz my husband's cat who had glaucoma, then kidney failure at the old age of 21.  I have regrets about Bubby, who I did everything for, and almost lost my house to foreclosure after paying $2500.00 in vet bills.  All you can do is learn and do better next time.  I bet that when it is your time to meet God, Jamie will be there to meet you and say "Thank you for loving me so much" .  God will honor your stewardship and your love.  All you can do is the best you can do.

I am so sorry for everyone's losses of late.  I wish I could take the time to write to all of you individually.  I do pray for your family's healing and comfort.

Gaylene Opal-Deitering
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!