[Dailydrool] Our Elsinore's Fifth

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Fri Mar 27 10:56:38 PDT 2009

Today we're celebrating our Elsinore's anniversary. Five years ago
today we drove down to Huntsville to meet Meg Harris, who was
fostering Elsinore for Basset Hound Rescue of Alabama (Elsinore's our
'Bama Babe). Elsinore, known then as Alexis, had been found as a
stray on the streets about a week before. There's no telling how long
she'd been living on her own, but when we took her home, she settled
in immediately with perfect house manners. In fact, she's yet to have
an accident in the house, and if she ever does, we'll take her right
to the vet and tell him to check for a UTI.

We figure Elsinore had been someone's pet at one time, and whoever
used to have her did a wonderful job with her basic training and had
loved her. The only baggage she brought with her was food and bed
aggression, something she picked up while she was on the street and
something she lost after a couple of years with us. Sometimes she'll
still grumble at us when we pat her while she's on her bed. But since
as soon as we stop patting her, she forcefully nudges our hands for
more pats, we don't take her growls too seriously and tease her about
being our growly girl.

Elsinore has experienced much personal growth over the last five
years. She's made friends with all of Jennifer's dogs, adjusted to
having an eternal buppy (young Charlie) in the house, been through
three obedience courses and one pet therapy course, earned her Canine
Good Citizenship certificate, gotten a job begging for pats at the
local hospice once a month, traveled extensively, become an
accomplished singer of classical music, and learned to dance. From
the very beginning she's tried her hardest to read our verbal and
body language and give us what she thinks we want from her. Sometimes
she misses the mark, but she always gets an A for effort.

We're guessing Elsinore is about seven or eight now. BHRA and our vet
felt she was about two or three when we took her home. Elsinore's
keeping mum on just how old she really is, but her face is quickly
going white. By the time our late, great Jane Basset was as old as we
think Elsinore is now, she'd already had one of two TECAs (total ear
canal ablation surgery), started biweekly allergy shots, and would
have her first of two ruptured disk surgeries in another year. So
far, all that Elsinore, Jane's worthy successor, has suffered has
been the removal of a pellet from her back and the resulting
occasional sciatica flare-up thanks to the scar tissue that formed
where the pellet had been. I'm hoping the second half of our
Elsinore's life will be as trouble free as the first half has been.
We wish for her the lifelong good health our Jane never got to enjoy.

Unfortunately, it's raining off and on all day today, so we won't be
able to mark our Elsinore's anniversary with a walk in the woods (or
anywhere else, for that matter). But I've given her a smoked pig rib
(which should help with her drool production for all the ailing
hounds out there), and I've just made her some anniversary brownies
out of a mix my sister gave us for Christmas (it's brownies for dogs,
so it's carob, not chocolate). We'll put five baby carrots in it and
sing to her after dinner. And then we'll spend some time on the sofa
with her half on, half off our laps, which is what she loves just as
much as walks in the woods. She can never have enough hands on her.

Elsinore feels the best way for all her Drool friends to celebrate
her anniversary is to enjoy a treat of their choice, whether it be
smoked pig ears, Frosty Paws, McDonalds hamburgers, or chocolate or a
margarita (for the humans). If you go with a liquid libation, please
raise it in a toast to our Elsinore. May we be able to enjoy the
pleasure of her company for at least another five years.

Elizabeth