[Dailydrool] Pano reply

Phil Guinn guinnirish at cox.net
Sat Mar 28 10:10:19 PDT 2009

My Jake, now almost 8 years old, had pano BAD from about four month until he was two years old.  Anitra described it well.  It is simply the body growing faster than the frame causing pain, lots of pain for Jake. My vet had him on mega doses of Glucosamine, Chondroitin & MSM. He was getting a cortisone shot monthly and 325mg coated aspirin up to 3 times daily. Sometimes he would hurt so bad (shaking) I would give him a Deramaxx but the vet wanted to keep those to a minimum for his kidney and liver's sake.  There were many nights I would give him an aspirin and hold his poor shaking little body until the drug took effect and he went to sleep.  Usually they say they over come the pano at 18 months. For Jake it was 24 months.

Now he is a 80 pound bouncing baby boy that can still act and play like a puppy but, that first two years was rough on both of us.  It is common in basset hounds as Anitra said. I have always, and always will, keep him on the Glucosamine, Chondroitin & MSM.

Phil, Jake, Maxx & Myrtle