[Dailydrool] Teething?!?!?

L.K. Metzler toppogigio at yahoo.com
Sat May 16 17:23:01 PDT 2009

Addie-Lou Roo, The Baby Kangaroo-Basset aka "Termite" is chewing like crazy again.  On everything she can get her little termite teeth on.  I think she must be teething... again.  This is at least the third time she's done this since I got her last July.

Addie is just a year old, and while I know she's really still officially a puppy for another year, I'm not sure about her teeth or how long she will be teething.  We keep LOTS of chewie toys around, rawhides, cow hooves, nylabones, kongs, and the like, but it seems her favorite things to gnaw lately are my plastic storage tubs where the dog toys live, the corners of a small rug, and the lower support of a coffee table as well as a few other not-so-important wooden items.  And she LOVES the taste of Bitter Apple!  She licks it off of The other night she came in from the yard with a big stick....how she got it through the doggie door, I do not know, but there she was with her 3-foot prize on her pillow.

She loves plastic water bottles, the krinklier the better.  We take the label, cap, and the little plastic ring ring off of them and she chews them down flat--which is great for the recycle bin because they take up less room.  She does not care for soda bottles or Gatorade bottlles--too firm, I guess.

We're doing the trade business, and "not yours" when she gnaws on something she's not supposed to, and I've laid in another supply of cow hooves and "legal" chewies, but is there anything else we can do for her?  She doesn't seem uncomfortable, but when she started gnawing on the feet of our metal-framed kitchen table, we began to wonder just how long she would be teething.

Addie has de-stuffed all but the absolute toughest stuffy toys we have (Fat Cats Toys), too.  She absolutely LOVES to play with the stuffing, and is an expert at spreading it all over the place.  She killed the last stuffy over a week ago, and even after we did our housecleaning yesterday, we are still finding fluff.  She must be hiding it somewhere.

Is there something we can give her to help relieve the "itchy teeth"?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa Metzler

Penelope, Jasmine, Pelly, and Addie-Lou Roo the Baby Kangaroo-Basset

L.K. Metzler
San Marcos, TX   toppogigio at yahoo.com     "A dog wags its tail with its heart." - Martin Buxbaum     "If dogs could talk it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one." -- Andy Rooney