[Dailydrool] why not to leave your hound with a treat/pup fever

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Tue May 5 04:40:18 PDT 2009

Remember all the warnings on the drool not to give your hound a treat or a
bone when you leave the house and won't be there to supervise?  Here is
another example of why not. We did not do the above, but imagine if we would
have. This weekend, my 10 year old son asks if he can give out treats to the
dogs. I said sure. He knows to give out in pack order starting with Maggie
first and ending with our 11 month old last. I am in the kitchen cleaning
and Cooper is running in circles after treat time. He runs by me and I
notice his mouth is open. My son have given them something they had received
as a Christmas gift like a dalmation snausage something. It was round like a
half dollar, but much larger.  Cooper had it stuck with his mouth open and
it was shoved back into his throat so far back that he couldn't get his jaws
to do anything. There didn't look to be much if any room for air around the
treat. We had to catch him and I had to do a couple of finger sweeps and end
up with cut fingers to get the treat out. Needless to say the treats went
into the trash. It was a soft treat, but his mouth muscles were not strong
enough to break it and because he is such a piggy he thinks he needs to
swallow things whole before they magically disappear before his eyes is why
he didn't chew it. Cooper is the mini doxie here, but we have had the
bassets get treats caught in their throats and such here too. It was a scary
experience, but luckily I do not freeze up in situations like that.
Also, not sure if it is the spring or good weather, but I am getting a
serious case of puppy fever.  I even have an 11 month old Cooper. The issue
is that I have a basset desk calendar at work that my boss had bought for me
and it keeps having puppies on it for the daily basset.  They are so smushy
looking with their long ears. I don't have the energy to keep up with
another puppy with already 4 dogs and 2 elementary age children and a full
time job, so what am I thinking? I love the seniors. I really do. What is
wrong with me? Can I just borrow a puppy to get it out of my head? Anyone
want to send their basset puppy to NY state for a vacation?  Kidding
obviously, but seriously, any takers?

--
DRool to all in need,
Dee, Maggie, Mazzie, Oliver & Cooper