[Dailydrool] tick removal with soap

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Thu May 7 05:47:08 PDT 2009

Having removed probably a thousand ticks at least over that past 20 yrs of
working at the the Vets, I am sorry to tell you that soaking one in liquid
soap will not remove it. If you don't believe me try Snopes.com

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/tick.asp

I have attempted to kill removed ticks in at least 50 different
ways:dropping them into vials of water, hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol,
ear cleaner, shampoos, flea and tick spray, betadine, chlorhexadine, nail
polish remover, --- i would have tried gasoline but Doc wouldn't let me put
it in the gas tank of his Mercedes.

Rubbing alcohol will kill the little sweeties. Hydrogen peroxide makes them
swim but then they crawl out. As kids we picked the big ones off the dogs
and set them on fire (the ticks) but. that is probably not appropriate any
more.

Flushing them down the loo gives me the creeps for days because I know they
don't drown easily.

The best thing to do is remove them with tweezers,being sure to get the head
(I have heard that turning slightly counter-clockwise is effective but I
just get the tweezers as closeto the skin as possible and rip.) I have not
yet left a head behind. Either crush them with the tweezers and dump them in
alittle rubbing alcohol and then flush, or run outside and drop the whole
thing in the middle of the
nearest interstate. THEY ARE HARD TO KILL.

The best tool I have ever found for tick removal is a pair of forceps, aka
hemostats, aka Veterinary Tick Removal Kit. Your Vet can order you a pair
for under $5 or sometimesyou can get them at a fishing supply place (My Dad
used them to remove fish hooks) (They can also be used to pull lint out of
the washtub drain.)  Forceps are wonderful because they lock in place once
you have ahold of the tick or lint or fish-hook or whatever.

Anyway just thought I would share this little bit of info that I have picked
up over the yrs.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley & Cooper, who wear Frontline.