[Dailydrool] puking dogs

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Thu May 7 10:29:55 PDT 2009

Here are the guidelines I have had pounded into me in my years at the
VetSpital:

Dogs that puke once or twice and are otherwise normal, leave them be but
watch.

Dogs that puke up meals or water more than once need to see a  Vet.
If you cannot get a vomiting dog to a Vet PULL THE FOOD AND WATER FOR 8
HOURS. No Food. No Water.NO TREATS. Rest that stomach. After that offer 1/4"
of water in a bowl. If he keeps it down and seems ok offer more in an hour.
Food can be started in another 4to 8 hours--make it bland and offer a
golf-ball sized meatball. Again, if he keeps itdown, offer another in an
hour and so on.

If at any point there is a relapse, it is VET TIME.

Small dogs and puppies become hypoglycemic and dehydrate  very rapidly and
should not go without food and water for more than a short period of time,
certainly no longer than 4 hours. Hypoglycemia with kill a small puppy
especially the very small breed puppies like Poms and Yorkies. The younger
the puppy the more critical it is that it see a Vet asap.

The idea is to give the stomach a rest for about 24 hours altogether, and
see if that stops the V&D. If it doesn't, you need professional help.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, (who puked this morning which is what made me
think of this.) Conley (who wanted to recycle) and Cooper