[Dailydrool] In need of advice

Barbara dbvasquez at cox.net
Fri May 8 09:19:24 PDT 2009

A friend of mine found a basset hound wandering the streets and took him home. She tried to find his owner by putting up flyers and putting an ad on Craig's list. No one called for him. She decided to keep him as he was such a good little guy. Three weeks later she called me..."Rocky" had bitten her little boy in the face and she didn't feel she could keep him any more. My husband and I went to pick him up. My husband fell in love with him at first sight. Rocky is just a little red and white guy, has a very lean body with a very "old man" face. His eyes can make your heart melt. We decided we would keep him.
My husband, David, took him to the vet the following day to have him checked for a chip...none was found. When David was lifting Rocky onto the table, Rocky bit him in the face...took out a good piece of his nose. Our vet said this was a very aggressive dog and we should not keep him. We talked about surrendering Rocky to AZBHR. My husband decided he still wanted to keep him.
Rocky is a "velcro" dog...he follows me everywhere, wants to sit in my lap and sleep. He is a sweet guy...BUT...Maggie, our 12 year old basset hound does NOT want him here at all. She is the top dog in our house and there are always fights between her and Rocky about who comes into the house first, who gets which crate, who gets to be closer to my husband and myself, etc. When the two of them aren't fighting, Maggie just seems to lay around and seems to be depressed.
Rocky will show "teeth" and growl when you try to do something to him that he doesn't want to do. Re: when he relieves himself he will sometimes step in it when he is finished. We try to wipe his feet before he comes back into the house. Last night again, he showed teeth and growled at my husband. If David hadn't backed away, I'm sure he would have been bitten again.
We talked about it again and we think the best thing to do is surrender him to our rescue. He just doesn't seem to be a good fit for our family, although we are both attached to him and he is a sweet "Little Man" as I call him, our Maggie is telling us she just doesn't want him here.
My question is this...What to do? I know the rescue will be able to work with him and find him a home where he fits better, but he is going to have to be moved agiain. First he was with his original owner (did they just discard him)? The he was with my friend, then he was with us, and now to be moved again. Is he going to adjust? The poor little guy is going to be so confused. I feel awful, but we just don't know when he may bite one of us again and we are afraid to have him around other people or even take him to the doggie park.
I apologize for this being so long, but I am trying to explain the situation as best I can, so possibly some of you would have some advice to give. Thank-you.