[Dailydrool] FW: Fizban update 2 - long

Mary Mischelle Kemp mmischellekemp at hotmail.com
Fri May 8 18:31:37 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,
    I thought I'd give you all another update on Fiz. I brought him home on Wednesday afternoon, as some of you already know. He looked really bad when I picked him up, his face was swollen and he had dried blood all over it, and both ends of the draining tube were sticking out of his face. He bled all over the waiting room through the tube while I was picking him up. I got him home and put the e collar on him because he was rubbing at his face. As anticipated, he hated the collar. He went stiff as a board and wouldn't move. When I was making his dinner, rice with beef broth to help replace all the blood that he lost, he whimpered at me that he was hungry, but wouldn't move as long as the collar was on.  Pw. Tasselhoff, by the way, thinks that beef broth rice makes a wonderful dinner, especially when he isn't the one that has to have surgery! Lol, Tas has actually been very concerned about his brother. Anyway when we went to bed that night I took the e collar off, as Fiz wouldn't rest at all with it on. He was in quite a bit of pain off and on all night so lots of belly rubs and love was administered and none of us got much sleep. I called the vet in the morning and we increased the frequencey of the pain medicine.
    Yesterday Fiz did quite well. He was very lethargic and slept a lot, as was expected. For the most part the pain medication seem to work for him and he seemed reasonably comforatble. He actually wanted to go for a walk! We went for a VERY short one, but I thought it was great that he wanted to. It reminded me of when you are sick and the medicine kicks in and you think you can do stuff, but as soon as you try you are exhausted and need to go lay down. One of the greatest things about yesterday was that he didn't mess with his face so he didn't need to wear the e collar at all! What a relief that was for both of us. I realize he may still need to wear it before it is all said and done but it was much easier on both of us that he didn't need it yesterday.
    Last night was a very rough night. I gave Fiz some pain medicine about 10:00 pm but by 11:15 he was really hurting, much more so than he had the night before. I felt so helpless, all I could do was hold him and rub him and let him know that I was there. At one point, he was laying next to me whimpering and I was rubbing his belly. Tasselhoff came up and laid down on the other side of Fiz, as close as he could get, and just laid there with Fiz sandwiched between us. It was very obvious that he was trying to comfort Fiz and let him know that he loved him too. Finally 5:00 am came and I was able to give him another pain killer, which seemed to take the edge off of things.
    First thing this morning I was at the vet's office talking to them about what we could do to get his pain under better control. I must have missed it when they told me on Wed, but I found out that they had to cut one of the nerves in Fiz's face to get the tumor out. The vet feels it is inflamation around the severed nerve that is causing all the pain. So he increased the dosage of the medication he is currently on and gave us another one to piggy back with it. Currently he is laying in a patch of sun getting some much needed rest with Tasselhoff close by.
   I want to thank everyone again for all your good thoughts, healing drool and prayers. I haven't had a chance to respond to all your emails but I have read them and appreciate it.

Mary Mischelle, Pw. Tasselhoff and Fizban