[Dailydrool] Our Elsinore's stone

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sat May 9 17:30:27 PDT 2009

It appears as if our Elsinore is now a proud member of the Kanine
Kidney Stone Club (KKSC), if such a thing exists.

Yesterday I took both hounds over to visit with Kelly Jane Wilson and
her dogs while she was in town. Her house, which is still up for
sale, is pretty much empty, which means it's great space for six dogs
to run and play in on a rainy day like yesterday was. They ran in
circles and made loops through the bedroom, living room, and play
room, and then ran in circles some more.

While we were in the playroom watching young Charlie and Gigi chew
each other's faces off, Elsinore squatted on the carpet, directly in
my line of vision. It was almost as if she wanted me to see her do it.

This was so out of character for her that I was initially speechless.
Then I found my voice and scolded her roundly. She looked me dead in
the eyes the entire time I told her how disappointed I was in her,
giving me her best "mind meld" look. I hustled her outside, where she
squatted again, so I was able to follow up the scolding with praise.
She squatted a few more times, and I saw that nothing was coming out.
When we got back inside, Kelly Jane said she couldn't feel any wet
spots on the carpet, which was a relief. After all, we would like to
be invited back again sometime!

Our Elsinore came to us five years ago from Basset Hound Rescue of
Alabama. She'd been found as a stray on the streets and spent only a
week or so in a foster home before becoming ours. But she must have
been someone's well-trained companion at one time because she came to
us with beautiful house manners, manners so impeccable that it's
impossible for her to have picked them up during the short time she
was in foster care. In the five years we've had her, she'd been yet
to have an accident (or even a "deliberate") in the house. In fact,
several years ago I started telling people that the day Elsinore had
an indoor accident would be the day I took her to the vet for a
suspected UTI, because she's just that well-behaved and reliable.

So on the way home from Kelly Jane's, I called the vet.
Unfortunately, he'd already left for the day, but the receptionist
set us up for first thing this morning. She instructed me to not let
Elsinore pee before she came in. The vet would want to have a sample
of the first pee of the morning, when Elsinore's urine would be the
most concentrated.

That's kind of a tricky thing to do--not let a dog pee when it wants
or needs to. In addition, I've had my fair share of UTIs and know how
miserable they can make a person feel. I sure didn't want to visit
that kind of discomfort on Elsinore during the night. So we
compromised by allowing her to have the run of the house and access
to the open dog door until about 2am. Then we shut her up in her
crate for the rest of the night. I figured six hours would be enough
concentration time. When I checked in on her about midnight and then
again at 2, I saw that she'd chosen to stay in her crate instead of
decamping for her favorite dog bed in the living room. I'm pretty
sure she didn't go out the dog door at all.

This morning, we let her out of her crate after I was ready to head
to the vet's, and Ken immediately scooped her up and carried her out
to the car. No chance to pee along the way. At the vet's, I swept her
past the grass and into the office. The receptionist asked how we
were, and I informed her that our Elsinore had a full bladder, full
bowels, and an empty stomach, so she wasn't at her best.

We were ushered into an examining room, where Elsinore whined and
paced and thumped her tail nervously against every hard surface it
would reach while we waited and waited for someone to show up to do
the urine retrieval procedure. Finally, Elsinore squatted and peed
all over the floor. It wasn't the clean catch the vet techs were
hoping for, but at the same time, if they wanted a clean catch, they
should have done the job as soon as we walked in. Elsinore was then
invited to step outside to attend to her bowels.

When we returned, the vet said Elsinore's urine was full of blood.
Her temperature was normal, though, and her pH was 6. He did an
ultrasound, which showed some thickness that could have been scar
tissue from a spay, or could have been a mass of some sort. Then he
did an x-ray, which showed no tumor and something the vet said was
probably a very small kidney stone. She still has that .BB in her
hip, too--that showed up quite clearly.

She got a shot of Baytril and is now on Cipro for a week. If she
doesn't seem to be doing any better, the vet said he'll probably have
to surgically remove the stone. I'm hoping it won't come to that.
We're due to leave on a three-week holiday at the end of the month,
and I'd just as soon she didn't need surgery, especially just before
we go away. I'll take her back next Friday to have her urine checked
again, just in case. She and young Charlie will be staying with our
friend Jennifer, and I'd sure hate to saddle Jennifer with a dog with
a kidney stone or a UTI.

I told the vet that a recent newspaper article reported that people
in Tennessee (the state we live in) have a higher incidence of kidney
stones that people in other states. The article said it was the high-
salt, high-fat diet people here tend to have. But the vet said he's
heard other vets hypothesize that the water in our area is the
culprit, at least for animals. It has a lot of minerals that are
favorable to the development of kidney stones. I'm now seriously
considering installing a faucet filter at the kitchen sink.

The vet says it'd be great if I would accompany Elsinore every time
she goes out to pee and if I would hold a piece of cloth under her to
strain her urine and try catch the stone if she really has one and
passes it. If the vet can have the stone's composition analyzed, then
we'll have a better idea of what to try to eliminate from her diet/
water. We're in our second week of pretty steady rain. There are a
lot of things I'll do for our Elsinore, but standing out in the rain
holding a piece of cloth under her every time she squats is really
pushing it for me. I'm a fair weather urine strainer.

In the meantime, we're calling Elsinore our stoned hound. And hoping
she won't be stoned for much longer.

Elizabeth