[Dailydrool] 1 yr old basset needs Help / Foster

Ashley Collard acollard at charter.net
Sun May 10 19:05:08 PDT 2009

Hi All! I dont normally post here but I responded to an ad on craigslist
regarding a 1 year old male basset (Northern Michigan)
The owner rescued him from a bad situation about 3 months ago but doesnt
have the know-how to deal with his issues.
He contacted the Michigan Basset Rescue but they will informed him they are
not able to take bassets with any aggression issues.
Id really like to help find a rescue or foster home that is willing to take
this boy in, help him learn how to be a good dog and then help find him a
great, forever home. My husband and I talked about it but we are expecting
our second baby in 2 months. With a new baby, a 2 year old son and a basset
of our own that is still working through his own 'issues', we simply dont
have the time to offer the help this boy will need.

Here is what his current family had to say:
Charlie does have issues. We were told he was potty trained well he is about
half potty trained. He will not ask to go outside you have to keep on him
and take him out often. He is afraid of men (me) he will walk around the
house to avoid me at times. Other times he will jump up on the couch and lay
right on me (he is a heavy lug) . He is not neutered. We specifically ask
about aggression when we got him because, we have the other two dogs, a
large parrot, and five children. We had Charlie about 30 minutes when we
knew he had aggression with food. For a few weeks we had to guard the food
dishes. As he would not allow the others dogs to eat. He would eat all three
bowls if we would let him. Our Scottie was able to cure him of this and it
has not been an issue he will now even share food dishes but like I said in
the beginning we had a few fights. We still do not leave him out to run the
house at night or when we are gone as he likes to chew things up. From shoes
to rolls of toilet paper. He will chew the toilet paper right off the roll.
He is a nice guy and wants to be loved. I personally believe he was
mistreated by a man and maybe not feed appropriately. He has never displayed
aggression towards the kids in any way or the bird. The only aggression we
have seen involved food. He has no manors at all. He will walk right up to
the dinner table while we are eating an try to take food off the table. One
last thing I am a fanatic with my yard and Charlie has dug 6" trenches in my
back year.

If unable to find this boy a basset rescue the owner said he will just try
to place him, as is, in another home. Id hate to see him get shuffled around
and around because of his trouble areas!

If you are able to help please EMAIL ME OFF LIST as I do not always have
time to read each Daily Drool.