[Dailydrool] An Addison's Tail : )

Sue Spataro, RN, BSN sue at pinksunrise.com
Thu May 14 10:49:56 PDT 2009

Hi fellow basset lovers : ),

I just wanted to share our experience this week in the hopes that it might
help someone else.

Our basset boy Vinny, who is 3, began to have severe diarrhea and vomiting
along with lethargy and great difficulties in moving. When this started
Monday night, we chalked it up to a stomach bug. As night went into day, he
became worse and refused all water and food. We took him to the animal
hospital.

To make a long story short : ), he didn't have a stomach bug but Addison's
disease. He was a textbook picture. Addison imitates so many other illness
it's not the first thing you think about. Fortunately, we did the ACTH test
(this is the definitive test to diagnosis Addison's) which assesses the
amount of cortisone a dog makes. A dog without Addison's will respond  to
this test by producing cortisone. A dog with Addison's won't produce
cortisone. Addison's is a deficiency of cortisone and requires daily
replacement.

In retrospect, our Vinny, had been showing signs of Addison's but the
symptoms were attributed to a million other benign causes. Over the course
of the last 7 months he had been drinking a great deal more water, urinating
more frequently, and his fur went from a nice regular basset coat to a thick
carpet which continually shed, irregardless of the season. He also, at age
3, was slowing down and had weakness in his hind legs. All are symptoms of
Addison's.

I'm thrilled to learn Vinny will be A-okay after his 4 day stay at the
hospital to get tuned up. I can't explain how relieved I feel and the
gratitude I have for the kind and smart folks who took care of him.

I hope this can help someone, not that I wish this on anyone : ).

He'll be home soon (yeah!) and if anyone wants to offer any helpful hints on
taking care of a loved on with Addison's I'm all ears : ).

Take care,

Sue