[Dailydrool] Second Dog Aggression

Kay, Nancy K *HS NKK3U at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Mon May 18 06:16:15 PDT 2009

Emily,

What you describe is exactly the same behavior our Sarah did when we brought another dog into her domain.

First, it was her 4-year-old litter mate Mickey (who she hadn't seen for 4 years, so basically he was "just another dog".) Sarah snarked and snarled and ruled and snapped and bitched and drank water first and went through the door first. She did this for 3 days, and Bill and I were both wrecks and wondering how we'd ever stand this. Then on Day 4, all was fine.

The exact same thing happened when we brought Frank to live with us. Sarah was a total mean-sounding and acting witch for 3 days, and on Day 4, everything was fine.

I guess it takes that long for the alpha female to be certain that her commands are "sticking", and by then everyone has learned the rules.

Give it a couple more days.

Nancy