[Dailydrool] Kelvin's vet visit, the good, the bad and the ugly

Carmen Kraus kdbeads at verizon.net
Mon May 18 14:28:06 PDT 2009

Fist off, we were expecting horrible blood test numbers. Then they
weighed him in......... 41.9 lbs.... he's lost 7 or 8 pounds in 7 weeks.
I was nearly beside myself.  Vet was understandably concerned as well so
we start discussing in detail all the issues we've been dealing with
over the last few months. Including his GI issues, all of them. While
going over everything his blood test came back, his BUN has amazingly
continued to drop, now at 34. If this keeps up he should be within
normal range by next appointment.
With this better news vet says ok to the rattlesnake vaccine. I've
killed 2 rattlers in my back yard in the last week and a half, better
safe than sorry with 6 dogs that like to poke their noses in holes.
Still we have his weight loss issue, after going through everything vet
is thinking the renal damage may be causing gastric ulcers which in turn
bleed easier due to the erhlickia which in turn keeps him from wanting
to eat and causes the bloody stool we get on occasion. So he's on
sucralfate indefinitely (along with his famodadine, tums, beano.....) to
see if it helps coat everything. And we have been given the ok to let
him eat as much as he wants of the food that doesn't upset his stomach
as much. Which at the moment is none since his stomach is totally messed
up. He can have his sour cream as well if it will help him eat.  If not
I have been told to try anything I can think of that might work.
Above all, NO MORE GRASS. Which we knew that already.

And if you need to get in contact with me, please send to my email.
Verizon is confiscating most of my Drools!!

Carmen