[Dailydrool] Painful Pyrenees - NSAIDs Toxic!

Laura Tancredi tancgirl1980 at yahoo.com
Tue May 19 18:49:01 PDT 2009

I'm sorry to hear that your dogs went for a run especially with the older one having hip dysplasia.  Unfortunately ibuprofen is toxic to dogs and cats and can cause acute kidney failure.  I unfortunately have seen people accidentally kill their dogs this way.  This includes ibuprofen (Advil), naproxen (Aleve), un-buffered aspirin, acetaminophen (Tylenol) and any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory that is over the counter or prescription that is not labeled for dogs. If she does have problems with her hip dysplasia you can give her BUFFERED aspirin pending that she has no other kidney or liver dysfunction.  The dose would be 8-12 mg per pound initially once daily and if needed twice daily.  Make sure that she has plenty of water.  Stay safe out there everyone :)