[Dailydrool] Happy 1st Gotcha Day

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Thu May 21 10:52:24 PDT 2009

Today is Ruperts 1st gotcha day anniversary!

I had met him last April at an all-breed canine event with cowboy, and was
of course drawn to him since he was a basset. I told James and begged to go
meet Rupert "just to see" how Cow would get along in a more private setting.
I emailed the rescue lady several times about my interest in him and wanting
to adopt, etc. But timing and brother-in-laws and life kept getting in the
way so by mid-may we still hadnt made any progress in even meeting Rupert.

I finally got James to agree to meet him on Weds 5/21. We planned to go
after I got off work, Rupert was being held at a doggie daycare facility so
it would be a perfect place to watch him interact with Cow. Well much to my
dismay I called when I got off work and was told that Ru had been adopted
that morning! I was devastated. Happy he'd found a home but so sad we were
just a day late. I called James, crying of course. He told me to just come
home, that there were plenty of dogs out there needing homes.

I come home and who is sitting on my couch? A big old red and white lug
named Rupert. Happy happy joy joy!

But thats was only the beginning. For 3 days straight Cowboy humped Rupert.
Not kidding, it was literally non-stop. Rupert just took it like a champ,
basically accepting the fact that his new brother was a pedophile. I emailed
the drool seeking help, seriously torn on whether or not to return Ru to
rescue. Everyone gave great advice, of course, supporting us and encouraging
us to keep trying.

Then magically, on Day 4 Cowboy stopped humping. They began playing,
chasing, fighting, cuddling, etc. Now one year later and Rupert has taken
over the apha role. They play and fight like brothers should and they keep
us laughing everyday. Rupert has entered OEBEhood, he loves to hog the bed
and he is attached to my hip but not in a needy annoying way - just a
i-love-my-mommy-best kind of way. :)

Thanks to everyone for everything you've helped me with over the past year.
(2 years if you count Cow) We are so blessed to have two amazing hound dogs
and a wonderful group of people who care about our hounds as if they were
their own.

Happy Gotcha Day Ruey, I lub ya!
 Kacy w/Cow (dont tell anyone but i really do lub my brudder)
and Ru (so does this mean i get lotsa yummy treats today? and walks? and
toys? and pets? and and and.......)

DD Calendar 8/7/09
www.kacyg.blogspot.com
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/531112