[Dailydrool] New puppy advice

Rosemary Ryan r2 at q.com
Fri Nov 6 14:42:27 PST 2009

Not that it will help your friend any, but 6 weeks is way too young to
place a puppy.  Some breeders whom I consider to be reputable place at 8
weeks, but none of mine goes to their new home before 12 weeks.  So much
development and socialization happens in those first few weeks, it is a
great disservice to the puppy and their future family to place them too
young.

That said, my guess is that the pup is suffering from separation
anxiety.   I have a bunch of questions. Where is the puppy sleeping? In
your friend's bedroom or elsewhere in the house? What provisions has she
made for the puppy to potty during the night? Is he in a space that is
large enough that he can potty away from where he sleeps? Is he crated?
The rule of thumb is that a pup can hold his urine an hour for every
month of age. So a 6 week old, the puppy is good for maybe an hour and a
half!  Does he have a warm snugglie to curl up with? A soft fleece doll,
especially one that holds a microwaveable heat disk, might provide him
with some comfort.

If it were me, I'd probably throw a mattress on the floor with a
waterproof covering and just sleep in the same room as the little guy
until he was a bit older and less distressed. If that didn't help, he
might end up on the mattress with me. Of course, doing that would mean
getting up every couple of hours to give him a chance to go potty. I
wouldn't bring the puppy to my bed for two reasons: urine soaked bedding
and creating the expectation that the pup is going to sleep with mom for
the rest of his life.

Another reason for getting a puppy from a breeder who keeps them until
they are 12 weeks or so: issues like this are less likely to develop
and, if they do, chances are better that the breeder will have dealt
with them.

Rosemary Ryan
Seattle