[Dailydrool] QUEEN POPPY TO THE BRIDGE

GGrf232 at aol.com GGrf232 at aol.com
Mon Nov 9 12:16:47 PST 2009

It is with a very sad and sorrowful heart that I must  report that Queen
Poppy went to the Rainbow Bridge at 15.00 (GMT) today. She had  spent the last
two days almost completely immobile in her bed, not eating hardly  drinking
and obviously coming to her end.

Our Vet came out to the house and confirmed my worst  fears and we gently
led her on her journey with me holding and talking to her to  the end.

Poppy had an eventful life: she lived as a brood bitch  in a puppy farm in
West Wales until she was five and by that time had had  eight litters of
puppies. fortunately she was rescued from there and came to  live with us in
2002.

>From the start she exerted her authority over Dylan  and gently wound her
way into our hearts. She was always a gentle soul but to  outsiders she could
and did present a most fearful bark and growl. She took  great delight in
teasing Dylan on their walks by nipping at his heels to make  him go at her
pace.

She earned her title of Queen Poppy in 2004 at the  50th Anniversary of the
reformed UK Basset Hound Club where she won the  award
 as the Best Basset Rescue from a field of over  100 hounds. She repeated
this triumph on two further occasions, in 2007 and  again this year in 2009.
In all the years this event has been held no other  hound has ever won it
twice let alone three times.

In March 2006 after an exploratory operation we were  told to take her home
and give her lots of TLC since she had multiple ulcerated  tumours and
would probably not last more than a week. They clearly didn't know  Poppy, she
never gave up and fought back to have another three and a half years  of good
life.

Coming so soon after the death of my dear wife Dilys  in September this
latest blow is almost too much to bear but I have the  consolation of knowing
that they are now reunited at the  Bridge.

Good Night   and God bless both of you, you will always be near to my heart
and  thoughts.

Terry & Dylan

Wilbarston,  England