[Dailydrool] (no subject)

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Mon Nov 16 13:27:24 PST 2009

I've just been gently chastised off-list by a fellow Drooler who
scolded me for neglecting to mention in my last post the fact that
our Elsinore won first place at the BHRG Basset Bash talent contest
last weekend. I chose to leave that out because, even though I'm
proud beyond words of my little girl making such a success of her
stage debut, I'm feeling a little badly about it. She's had the
benefit of a couple of years of dance lessons, and the hounds she was
competing against haven't had that opportunity. It wasn't really a
very level playing field. But we'll sit it out next year and enjoy
watching other hounds compete and win.

The talent contest was the first time I've put Elsinore in the
position of dancing in front of a group of people, and I was pretty
nervous about it. Elsinore, however, wasn't nervous at all. She knows
she's a good dancer. In fact, that's what she told the pet
communicator at the GABR waddle in September when I asked Elsinore if
she liked her dance lessons and wanted to continue with them. Yes,
she likes her dance lessons and, she informed the pet communicator in
a matter of fact way, "I'm a very good dancer." That's our Elsinore.
A lack of self-confidence is *not* one of her problems!

Fortuitously, the DJ was playing a polka in the background, and the
polka is one of the kinds of music Elsinore's dance teacher says she
moves best to. Apparently, Elsinore is not poetry in motion but
rather busy-ness in motion. Her front end sways to an entirely
different rhythm than her back end. This means "her" music needs to
sound equally busy or complicated (think the theme song to the Andy
Griffith Show, for example). Elsinore also moves well to the kind of
music that's used to accompany madcap chases in silent movies.

Elsinore performed a very short dance to the polka music. She did a
leg weave with me, a few twists, a circle around me, and concluded
with a couple of hops. I fumbled and dropped a treat in the middle of
her dance, which she found distracting, but then again I *was* pretty
nervous about being up there with everyone watching us. Fortunately
we were both able to recover and the judges were very forgiving.

Young Charlie competed in the contest as well. He performed the
classic dog trick "roll over." When he does this at home, he does it
lickety-split, sometimes executing several complete roll overs in
rapid succession, looking up for his treat after each rotation. But
this time he seemed to be under the impression that he was supposed
to demonstrate to all the other bassets exactly how to roll over. So
he did one rotation very slowly and methodically, using the step-by-
step method. This didn't win him a prize, but I know the other
bassets appreciated his thoughtful tutorial.

Ultimately, what I hope basset neophytes attending the Bash got out
of watching all of the competitors in the talent contest is proof
that "obedient basset" is *not* an oxymoron. Anyone who says a basset
can't be trained doesn't know bassets. Any basset can be trained--for
the right price. In our Elsinore's case, her obedience can be bought
for a type of dog jerky called Real Meat. She'll also cooperate for
string cheese. And since we've been working together on obedience
training (which is basically what this dog dancing thing is--just
esoteric obedience skills) for so long now, Elsinore is in the habit
of watching and listening to me and, most of the time, doing what I
ask, whether there's a treat in it for her or not.

After watching Elsinore change from an adversary fighting me for rank
in our pack to a team member who happily cooperates with me, all
thanks to the obedience training we've done together, I'm a huge fan
of obedience classes. And from those it's just a small hop, twist,
and sashay away from dance lessons, which are great fun for both
human and hound.

Elizabeth