[Dailydrool] boyfriend/girlfriend has to go

Charlie Meyer charlie at droolassicpark.com
Thu Nov 19 00:03:53 PST 2009

Not having a dog until I was 40, and my navy retirement papers were
in, I lived with a girlfriend in my thirties, who told me up front
that her Sheltie and kitties had seniority. It took me another decade
or so to truly appreciate and incorporate it myself.

"Frito feet" are a long-known Basset thing. Last week, in my newspaper
column on the election in New York's 23rd Congressional District
(Waaaayyy Upstate, and I'm from Schenectady), I quoted the late Frank
Zappa's lyrics from "Nanook Rubs It": "The deadly yellow snow, from
down there where the Huskies go" to give readers here an idea how cold
it gets up there.  Zappa also wrote "Stink Foot": "The python boot is
too tight, I couldn't get it off last night.  A week went by, and now
it's July. I finally got it off and my girlfriend cried: 'You've goy
'stinkfoot'... Your stinkfoot's put a hurt on my nose."  OK, I'm a
guy. We tend to be olfactorily-challenged, anyway. Y'all must have
taken the defective models.

Bottom line: Controlling folks who try to drive a wedge betwixt mate
and dog usually end up on the losing end of the stick without either.
It was my ex-wife, a dog person, that secretly planted the seeds for
this 'dog thing', and decades later in rescue, I publicly gave her
credit.

There was a film a decade ago titled: "Must Like Dogs." 'Nuff said,

Charlie
Divorced 22 years. Living with Bassets.

On Nov 18, 2009, at 9:19 PM, vikki wrote:

> I'm right there with ya!  My husband once told me I liked the dogs
> better
> than I liked him.  After only a slight hesitation I said, "You're
> right.  I
> do!"  I've been divorced ummm 15yrs now.  Any man that comes around is
> notified UP FRONT that if it comes to a choice between the dogs &
> him...
> he's gonna lose. <G>
> Odiferous?  Someone once told me bassets smell like frito's!
> vikki

Charlie Meyer
West Virginia Coordinator
Basset Rescue of Old Dominion, Inc. (BROOD)
Droolassic Park
Keyser, WV

Basset Hound Rescue: Work With Women. Pick Up Dogs.